Now showing items 1-10 of 46
Order Gonorynchiformes: Chanidae: Milkfish
- In KE Carpenter & VH Niem (Eds.), FAO species identification guide for fishery purposes. The living marine resources of the Western Central Pacific. Volume 3. Batoid fishes, chimaeras and bony fishes part 1 (Elopidae to Linophrynidae), 1999 - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Early ossification and development of the cranium and paired girdles of Chanos chanos (Teleostei, Gonorynchiformes)
- In T Grande, FJ Poyato Ariza & R Diogo (Eds.), Gonorynchiformes and Ostariophysan Relationships: A Comprehensive Review, 2010 - Science Publishers
In this chapter, we provide new data on the timing of ossification of cranial and paired girdle elements, and compare our results, when it is possible, with previous work on early ossification development of Chanos chanos. ...
Historical and current trends in milkfish farming in the Philippines
- In SS De Silva (Ed.), Tropical Mariculture, 1998 - Academic Press
This chapter focuses on the historical and current practices of milkfish farming in the Philippines. The Philippines ranks among the top 12 largest fish producers in the world and the milkfish, Chanos chanos, is the official ...
Protected areas for biodiversity conservation and environment education in the Philippines.
- Philippine Journal of Science, 1999 - Science and Technology Information Institute
The Philippines holds the distinction of having enormous biodiversity with the highest density of endemic species but has the problem of very fast decline in old-growth forests and the highest number of endangered mammal ...
Yolk resorption, onset of feeding and survival potential of larvae of three tropical marine fish species reared in the hatchery
- Marine Biology, 1986 - Springer Verlag
This paper provides basic early life-history information on milkfish (Chanos chanos), seabass (Lates calcarifer) and rabbitfish (Siganus guttatus) which may explain in part the observed differences in their survival ...
Impact of fishpond management on the mangrove ecosystem in the Philippines
- In Mangroves of Asia and the Pacific: Status and management, 1986 - Natural Resources Management Center and National Mangrove Committee, Ministry of Natural Resources
Fishpond development in the Philippines is discussed, examining resulting impacts on the mangrove ecosystems. Socio-economical implications and management measures are also considered.
Nature parks, museums, gardens, and zoos for biodiversity conservation and environment education: the Philippines
- AMBIO: A Journal of the Human Environment, 1998 - Springer Verlag
Public consciousness about biodiversity and the environment, and their importance for sustainable development is not widespread in the Philippines. This article advocates nonformal environment education through nature ...
The length-weight relationship, food habits and condition factor of wild juvenile milkfish in Sri Lanka
- Aquaculture, 1986 - Elsevier
Wild juvenile milkfish (Chanos chanos) were obtained from Negombo lagoon in September 1984. Thirty-one specimens (92–186 mm FL) had a fork length-body weight relationship of log W = −5.6083 + 3.2598 log L. These fish were ...
Fish behaviour and aquaculture
- In S Mustafa & R Shapawi (Eds.), Aquaculture Ecosystems: Adaptability and Sustainability, 2015 - John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Research in the application of fundamental concepts of fish behaviour to aquaculture has intensified recently and this chapter further elucidates fish sensory systems and functions and their involvement in the success or ...
Egg size and larval size among teleosts: implications to survival potential
- In JL Maclean, LB Dizon & LV Hosillos (Eds.), The First Asian Fisheries Forum. Proceedings of the First Asian Fisheries Forum, 26-31 May 1986, Manila, Philippines, 1986 - Asian Fisheries Society
A survey of the early life history characteristics of 135 teleost fishes from freshwater, marine, tropical, temperate and boreal habitats show the influence of egg size and larval size on survival potential. Marine species ...