Now showing items 1-10 of 338
Milkfish (Chanos chanos) fingerling production in freshwater ponds with the use of natural and artificial feeds
- Aquaculture, 1989 - Elsevier
Milkfish fry were reared to fingerling size in freshwater ponds. For the first experiment, fish were fed the blue-green algae Oscillatoria inoculated and grown in the ponds, Oscillatoria supplemented with a fishmeal-based ...
Evaluation of organic and inorganic fertilizers in brackishwater milkfish ponds
- Aquaculture, 1989 - Elsevier
The study was conducted in twelve 144-m2 ponds to evaluate the effect of different organic and inorganic fertilizers on the growth, survival, gross production, and profitability of marketable milkfish. The ...
Effect of light quality and eyestalk ablation on ovarian maturation in Penaeus monodon
- Kalikasan, The Philippine Journal of Biology, 1981 - University of the Philippines Los Baños
Prawns were subjected to the following treatments: blue light, red light, natural light, and natural light plus unilateral eyestalk ablation. Unablated prawns under blue and natural light developed stage III ovaries; under ...
Yolk resorption, onset of feeding and survival potential of larvae of three tropical marine fish species reared in the hatchery
- Marine Biology, 1986 - Springer Verlag
This paper provides basic early life-history information on milkfish (Chanos chanos), seabass (Lates calcarifer) and rabbitfish (Siganus guttatus) which may explain in part the observed differences in their survival ...
A primer on putian.
- In National Conference on Prawn-Fish Farming Technology, 23-24 October 1986, Makati, Metro Manila, 1986 - Fishfarmers Technical Assistance Foundation, Inc
With the growing interest among fishfarmars in the culture of sugpo or Penaeus monodon, some attention is being focused on the lesser known prawns and shrimps such as putian, Hipong puti (Tagalog), putian (Cebuano, Ilongo), ...
Impact of fishpond management on the mangrove ecosystem in the Philippines
- In Mangroves of Asia and the Pacific: Status and management, 1986 - Natural Resources Management Center and National Mangrove Committee, Ministry of Natural Resources
Fishpond development in the Philippines is discussed, examining resulting impacts on the mangrove ecosystems. Socio-economical implications and management measures are also considered.
Studies on the egg quality of Penaeus monodon Fabricius, based on morphology and hatching rates
- Aquaculture, 1981 - Elsevier
Eggs of Penaeus monodon are classified into five different types on the basis of morphological criteria and hatching rates — A1 eggs undergo normal development with 58% hatching rate; A2 eggs show delayed and/or abnormal ...
Sugar and amino acid transport in fish intestine
- Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part A: Physiology, 1984 - Elsevier
1. Morphological properties of fish intestines vary with diet. Carnivores have short guts with highly elaborate mucosal folding in the upper intestines; herbivores have long guts which appear structurally uniform from ...
Biological evaluation of three phytoplankton species (Chlorella sp., Tetraselmis sp., Isochrysis galbana) and two zooplankton species (Crassostrea iredalei, Brachionus plicatilis) as food for the first-feeding Siganus guttatus larvae
- The Philippine Scientist, 1986 - University of San Carlos
First-feeding Siganus guttatus larvae were given different species of phytoplankton (Chlorella, Tetraselmis, Isochrysis) and zooplankton (oyster trochophores, Brachionus) or a combination of both on the first day when they ...
Application of engineering scale-up principles in aquaculture
- In Report of the National Consultative Meeting on Aquaculture Engineering, 2-5 October 1985, Philippines, 1986 - ASEAN/UNDP/FAO Regional Small-Scale Coastal Fisheries Development Project
The effects of water movement or agitation on the biological performance of planktonic organisms under intensive culture have been rarely studied quantitatively. Stagnation or minimum values are considered important in the ...