Now showing items 1-10 of 440
Significant organotin contamination of sediment and tissues of milkfish in brackish water ponds.
- Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 1999 - Springer Verlag
Organotin pesticides, triphenyltin acetate or hydroxide have long been used as an inexpensive method to control the population of brackish water shails Cerithidea cingulata in the pond culture of milkfish (Chanos chanos ...
Diel activity patterns in Metapenaeus and Penaeus juveniles
- Hydrobiologia, 1995 - Springer Verlag
Small (5–10.9 mm carapace length), medium (11–15.9 mm), and large (16–20.9 mm) juveniles of Metapenaeus anchistus, Metapenaeus sp., Penaeus monodon and P. merguiensis were stocked individually in glass tanks provided with ...
Intensive prawn farming in the Philippines: ecological, social, and economic implications
- AMBIO: A Journal of the Human Environment, 1991 - Springer Verlag
The benefits of intensive farming of the giant tiger prawn Penaeus monodon in the Philippines are discussed in relation to the environmental costs. Ecological effects include mangrove conversion into ponds; use of antibiotics ...
Nature parks, museums, gardens, and zoos for biodiversity conservation and environment education: the Philippines
- AMBIO: A Journal of the Human Environment, 1998 - Springer Verlag
Public consciousness about biodiversity and the environment, and their importance for sustainable development is not widespread in the Philippines. This article advocates nonformal environment education through nature ...
Economic feasibility analysis of the monoculture of mudcrab (Scylla serrata) Forsskal
- Aquaculture, 1990 - Elsevier
Mudcrabs, Scylla serrata Forsskal, were monocultured at different stocking densities: 5000, 10 000, 15 000 and 20 000/ha for 90 days. Highest mean weight, survival and relative growth increment (P>0.05) were obtained from ...
Milkfish culture in the Philippines
- In H Tanaka, KR Uwate, JV Juario, CS Lee & R Foscarini (Eds.), Proceedings of the Regional Workshop on Milkfish Culture Development in the South Pacific, Tarawa, Kiribati, 21–25 November 1988, 1990 - South Pacific Aquaculture Development Project, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
In the Philippines, the level of intensity of Chanos chanos culture is categorized into traditional and extensive management. Pond types for different culture systems, stocking practices, acclimation practices, water ...
Protected areas for biodiversity conservation and environment education in the Philippines.
- Philippine Journal of Science, 1999 - Science and Technology Information Institute
The Philippines holds the distinction of having enormous biodiversity with the highest density of endemic species but has the problem of very fast decline in old-growth forests and the highest number of endangered mammal ...
Order Gonorynchiformes: Chanidae: Milkfish
- In KE Carpenter & VH Niem (Eds.), FAO species identification guide for fishery purposes. The living marine resources of the Western Central Pacific. Volume 3. Batoid fishes, chimaeras and bony fishes part 1 (Elopidae to Linophrynidae), 1999 - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- In CE Nash & AJ Novotny (Eds.), Production of aquatic animals: fishes, 1995 - Elsevier
Tropical shrimp farming and its sustainability
- In SS De Silva (Ed.), Tropical Mariculture, 1998 - Academic Press
In December 1996, the Supreme Court of India ordered the closure of all semi-intensive and intensive shrimp farms within 500 m of the high tide line, banned shrimp farms from all public lands, and required farms that closed ...