Now showing items 1-10 of 481
Seasonal gonad cycle of the climbing perch Anabas testudineus (Teleostei: Anabantidae) in a tropical wetland
- Ichthyological Research, 2015 - Springer Verlag
Seasonal reproduction of the climbing perch Anabas testudineus in the Candaba wetland, Philippines, is described. Monthly specimens were collected, gonads and viscera excised, and the gonads histologically examined. Low ...
A lesson from cyclone Larry: An untold story of the success of good coastal planning
- Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 2007 - Elsevier
When tropical cyclone Larry crossed the Queensland coast on 20 March 2006, commercial, recreational and naval vessels in the port of Cairns, 60 km north of the eye of the cyclone and others closer to the eye, were protected ...
The lancelets [Cephalochordata, Amphioxi] of Lucena Anchorage, Quezon, Philippines
- Kalikasan: The Philippine Journal of Biology, 1978 - University of the Philippines at Los Baños
Two species of lancelets (amphioxi) are described from Philippine waters: Branchiostoma belcheri and Epigonichthys cultellus. The characters suited for numerical evaluation in both species were examined statistically. ...
Disaster management practices of academic libraries in Panay island, Philippines: Lessons from typhoon Haiyan
- Information Development, 2018 - SAGE Publications
A disaster management plan is essential because it can guide library personnel on what to do in a critical time. Using an eight-part survey instrument, this paper documents the impact of Typhoon Haiyan on 22 academic ...
Milkfish culture in the Philippines
- In H Tanaka, KR Uwate, JV Juario, CS Lee & R Foscarini (Eds.), Proceedings of the Regional Workshop on Milkfish Culture Development in the South Pacific, Tarawa, Kiribati, 21–25 November 1988, 1990 - South Pacific Aquaculture Development Project, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
In the Philippines, the level of intensity of Chanos chanos culture is categorized into traditional and extensive management. Pond types for different culture systems, stocking practices, acclimation practices, water ...
Mangroves as nurseries: Shrimp populations in mangrove and non-mangrove habitats
- Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 1998 - Elsevier
A total of 4845 penaeids belonging to nine species—Metapenaeus anchistus, M. ensis, M. moyebi, M. philippinensis, Penaeus merguiensis, P. monodon, P. semisulcatus, P. latisulcatus and Metapenaeopsis palmensis—were collected ...
Surveillance of emerging fish viral pathogens in some Southeast Asian countries
- The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh, 2009 - Society of Israeli Aquaculture and Marine Biotechnology
Preventing the transboundary movement of fish viral pathogens in a global environment requires active surveillance. This study examined the presence of three emerging viral pathogens among koi, common, grass, and silver ...
Paradigm shifts in mangrove rehabilitation in Southeast Asia: Focus on the Philippines
- In HG Palis, SA Pasicolan & CI Villamor (Eds.), Proceedings of the 1st ASEAN Congress on Mangrove Research and Development, 3-7 December 2012, Manila, Philippines, 2014 - Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (DENR-ERDB)
Mangrove rehabilitation has a long history in the Philippines dating back to the 1930s. The standard practice is the planting of bakhaw Rhizophora propagules by paid community members (or volunteers) in seafront sites ...
Basis for a blue revolution?
- In D Spurgeon (Ed.), Give us the Tools: Science and Technology for Development, 1979 - International Development Research Centre
In 1977, scientists at the Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Centre (SEAFDEC) in the Philippines became the first anywhere to succeed in breeding milkfish (Chanos chanos) in captivity. The advance was made possible by ...
Review of recommendations from recent SEAFDEC workshops: SICCPPS and AQUACHEM
- In PT Smith (Ed.), Towards Sustainable Shrimp Culture in Thailand and the Region. Proceedings of a workshop held at Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand, 28 October-1 November 1996, 1999 - Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research
Series: ACIAR Proceedings; No. 90
Series: ACIAR Proceedings; No. 90
The Second International Conference on the Culture of Penaeid Prawns and Shrimps (SICCPPS) was convened in Iloilo City by the Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC) on May 14-17 1996 to bring together ...