Now showing items 1-10 of 12
Adsorption and biomass concentration of thraustochytrid Schizochytrium aggregatum (Goldstein and Belsky) in Bunker C Oil
- Journal of Environmental Science and Management, 2014 - School of Environmental Science and Management, University of the Philippines Los Baños
Diverse array of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and protists are involved during oil spill. Each microorganism has its own specific function whether it has to degrade or adsorb hydrocarbons. One important microorganism ...
Nursery and grow-out culture of Asian seabass, Lates calcarifer, in selected countries in Southeast Asia
- In DR Jerry (Ed.), Biology and Culture of Asian Seabass Lates Calcarifer, 2014 - CRC Press
In this chapter, the practices of growing Asian seabass in nursery and grow-out culture systems in selected Southeast Asian countries like the Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia are described.
Plankton diversity in ballast water of an inter-island passenger-cargo ship calling the Philippine ports
- Asian Journal of Biodiversity, 2014 - Liceo Press
Numerous studies have been conducted on ballast water species composition and diversity in other countries but not in the Philippines. Thus, this study aimed to provide baseline information on the plankton diversity in ...
Embryonic development of the Caridean prawn Macrobrachium mammillodactylus (Crustacea: Decapoda: Palaemonidae)
- Invertebrate Reproduction and Development, 2014 - Taylor & Francis
The freshwater knob-tooth prawn Macrobrachium mammillodactylus is a commercially exploited species in the Philippines. To study the biology of this species, broodstock from the wild was collected, transported to the ...
Paradigm shifts in mangrove rehabilitation in Southeast Asia: Focus on the Philippines
- In HG Palis, SA Pasicolan & CI Villamor (Eds.), Proceedings of the 1st ASEAN Congress on Mangrove Research and Development, 3-7 December 2012, Manila, Philippines, 2014 - Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (DENR-ERDB)
Mangrove rehabilitation has a long history in the Philippines dating back to the 1930s. The standard practice is the planting of bakhaw Rhizophora propagules by paid community members (or volunteers) in seafront sites ...
Fish biodiversity and incidence of invasive fish species in an aquaculture and non-aquaculture site in Laguna de Bay, Philippines
- In C Biscarini, A Pierleoni & L Naselli-Flores (Eds.), Lakes: The Mirrors of the Earth. Balancing Ecosystem and Human Wellbeing, 2014 - Science4Press
Laguna de Bay is the Philippines' largest inland water with 900 km2 surface area. The lake has been assessed as hypereutrophic (Rohani and Roblo, 1984) to dystrophic (Barril and Tumlos, 2002). To make use of the lake's ...
Do adaptation and coping mechanisms to extreme climate events differ by gender? The case of flood-affected households in Dumangas, Iloilo, Philippines
- Asian Fisheries Science, 2014 - Asian Fisheries Society
This study was conducted to identify and analyse gender-differentiated adaptation measures and coping mechanisms formulated and implemented by households during Typhoon Frank (international name Fengshen), in barangays ...
Comparing profits from shrimp aquaculture with and without green-water technology in the Philippines
- Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 2014 - Taylor & Francis
To reduce disease impact, Philippine farmers developed the green-water (GW) system, which has been spreading rapidly since 2008. In the most applied GW-system, the shrimp pond receives water from a reservoir stocked with ...
Paralytic shellfish poisoning toxin accumulation in shellfishes collected from various habitats in Murcielagos Bay, Philippines during harmful algal blooms occurrence
- Advances in Environmental Biology, 2014 - American-Eurasian Network for Scientific Information (AENSI)
This study aims to determine whether the habitat of bivalves plays an influence in the occurrence of tropical shellfish toxicity during toxic red tide bloom occurrences in Murcielagos Bay, Misamis Occidental, Philippines. ...
Effects of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) and handling stress on spermiation of silver perch Leiopotherapon plumbeus (Kner, 1864)
- Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 2014 - Wiley
This study determined the effect of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) and handling stress on the spermiation and milt response of silver perch Leiopotherapon plumbeus based on the measurement of spermatocrit, sperm density, ...