Now showing items 11-20 of 31
Growth pattern of the tropical sea cucumber, Holothuria scabra, under captivity
- Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly, 2014 - Ministry of Tropical Agricultural Research Centre
The growth of the juvenile sea cucumber, Holothuria scabra, was studied under captivity to elucidate the growth variation pattern and determine the best-fit growth model to estimate age- and size-specific growth rates. ...
Paradigm shifts in mangrove rehabilitation in Southeast Asia: Focus on the Philippines
- In HG Palis, SA Pasicolan & CI Villamor (Eds.), Proceedings of the 1st ASEAN Congress on Mangrove Research and Development, 3-7 December 2012, Manila, Philippines, 2014 - Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (DENR-ERDB)
Mangrove rehabilitation has a long history in the Philippines dating back to the 1930s. The standard practice is the planting of bakhaw Rhizophora propagules by paid community members (or volunteers) in seafront sites ...
Fish biodiversity and incidence of invasive fish species in an aquaculture and non-aquaculture site in Laguna de Bay, Philippines
- In C Biscarini, A Pierleoni & L Naselli-Flores (Eds.), Lakes: The Mirrors of the Earth. Balancing Ecosystem and Human Wellbeing, 2014 - Science4Press
Laguna de Bay is the Philippines' largest inland water with 900 km2 surface area. The lake has been assessed as hypereutrophic (Rohani and Roblo, 1984) to dystrophic (Barril and Tumlos, 2002). To make use of the lake's ...
Do adaptation and coping mechanisms to extreme climate events differ by gender? The case of flood-affected households in Dumangas, Iloilo, Philippines
- Asian Fisheries Science, 2014 - Asian Fisheries Society
This study was conducted to identify and analyse gender-differentiated adaptation measures and coping mechanisms formulated and implemented by households during Typhoon Frank (international name Fengshen), in barangays ...
Dietary substitution of protein concentrate of Ulva lactuca for soybean meal in the black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon fry
- Animal Biology and Animal Husbandry, 2014 - Bioflux Society
A feeding trial was conducted to test the protein concentrate of the green seaweed Ulva lactuca as a substitute for soybean meal in the diet of the black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon fry. Experimental diets containing ...
Ultrastructure of the anterior intestinal epithelia of the orange-spotted grouper Epinephelus coioides larvae under different feeding regimes
- Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 2014 - Springer Verlag
Enterocytes of the anterior to midsection of the intestine in grouper Epinephelus coioides larvae were compared among different treatments: unfed to the point-of-no-return (PNR), fed natural food only, and co-fed natural ...
Comparing profits from shrimp aquaculture with and without green-water technology in the Philippines
- Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 2014 - Taylor & Francis
To reduce disease impact, Philippine farmers developed the green-water (GW) system, which has been spreading rapidly since 2008. In the most applied GW-system, the shrimp pond receives water from a reservoir stocked with ...
Physiological and avoidance responses of juvenile mud crab Scylla serrata to mercury
- Aquaculture, Aquarium, Conservation and Legislation, 2014 - Bioflux
The physiological and avoidance responses of juvenile mud crab Scylla serrata to mercury was evaluated by determining mortality using a renewal-type acute toxicity test and assessing crabs’ ability to avoid toxic concentrations. ...
Molecular cloning and localization of GABAA receptor-associated protein in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis
- International Review of Hydrobiology, 2014 - Wiley-VCH Verlag
γ-Aminobutyric acid receptor type A-associated protein (GABARAP) and its homologs constitute a protein family found in many eukaryotes from yeast to human, and are known to be involved in intracellular membrane trafficking ...
Apparent digestibility coefficient of nutrients from shrimp, mussel, diatom and seaweed by juvenile Holothuria scabra Jaeger
- Aquaculture Research, 2014 - Wiley
The ability of Holothuria scabra to digest nutrients, such as organic matter (OM), protein and carbohydrate from animal and plant feed ingredients was investigated. Four test feeds prepared by mixing sand with single ...