Now showing items 1-10 of 15
Studies on breeding and seed production of the new species of fish with high commercial value
- In Studies on Sustainable Production Systems of Aquatic Animals in Brackish Mangrove Areas [Ibaraki, Japan], 2001 - Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences
Aquaculture contributes significantly to food production and provides the means to generate increased revenue for countries in Southeast Asia. As the catch from the capture fisheries stagnate and population growth rate in ...
Hormone-induced spawning of cultured tropical finfishes
- In Advances in tropical aquaculture : workshop at Tahiti, French Polynesia, February 20-March 4, 1989, 1990 - IFREMER
Commercially important tropical freshwater and marine finfishes are commonly spawned with pituitary homogenate, human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) and semi-purified fish gonadotropins. These preparations are often administered ...
Recent technical developments in aquaculture and training needs
- In CL Marte (Ed.), Aquaculture in Asia and the Pacific : report of an APO seminar 25th August - 4th September, 1992, Tokyo, Japan, 1995 - Asian Productivity Organization
This paper attempts to present recent developments and techniques in breeding, seed production, genetics, feed development, and fish health management. Most of the innovative findings come from work done on well-studied ...
Status of grouper research in the Philippines
- In MA Rimmer, KC Williams & MJ Phillips (Eds.), Proceedings of the Grouper Aquaculture Research Workshop, 7-8 April 1998, Bangkok, Thailand, 1998 - Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research
Milkfish culture and artificial propagation
- In DR Idler, LW Crim & JM Walsh (Eds.), Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on the Reproductive Physiology of Fish, 2-7 August 1987, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, 1987 - Marine Science Research Laboratory, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Milkfish (Chanos chanos Forsskal) is widely distributed in the Indo-Pacific region and one of the most extensively cultured fish in Southeast Asia. In the Philippines, Indonesia and Taiwan, over 400,000 hectares of ...
The plight of older women in a fishing village: The women fish traders of Bugtong Bato, Aklan, central Philippines
- In MJ Williams, MC Nandeesha, VP Corral, E Tech & PS Choo (Eds.), International Symposium on Women in Asian Fisheries: Fifth Asian Fisheries Forum, 13 November 1998, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2001 - ICLARM
The changing nature of the fisheries in Bugtong Bato, a small fishing community in Central Philippines has also changed the role of women, particularly of older women, in the community. Until the 1980s, fishing used mainly ...
Serum steroid hormones, reproductive and larval performance of the Asian catfish Clarias macrocephalus (Gunther) during the off- and peak reproductive seasons
- In JYL Yu (Ed.), Recent Advances in Comparative Endocrinology. Proceedings of the Fourth Congress of the Asia and Oceana Society for Comparative Endocrinology, May 14-18, 2000, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C, 2001 - Institute of Zoology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Serum samples were taken from gravid female catfish 0 to 24 h after injection of luteinizing hormone releasing hormone analogue (LHRHa) and pimozide (PIM) to monitor the serum steroid hormone levels during the off seasons ...
Recent developments in freshwater and marine cage aquaculture in the Philippines
- In IC Liao & CK Lin (Eds.), Cage Aquaculture in Asia: Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Cage Aquaculture in Asia, 2-6 November 1999, Tungkang Marine Laboratory, Taiwan Fisheries Research Institute, Tungkang, Taiwan, 2000 - Asian Fisheries Society; World Aquaculture Society - Southeast Asian Chapter
Fish production from freshwater cages and pens, and marine cages and pens constitute 19% of the total foodfish produced from aquaculture in the Philippines. In 1998, production from freshwater cages and pens contributed ...
Collection of naturally-spawned milkfish eggs in floating cages
- In JL Maclean, LB Dizon & LV Hosillos (Eds.), The First Asian Fisheries Forum. Proceedings of the First Asian Fisheries Forum, 26-31 May 1986, Manila, Philippines, 1986 - Asian Fisheries Society
Natural spawnings of milkfish from floating cages were obtained from different stocks of 5-7 year-old milkfish in 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1985. The maximum number of eggs collected in 1980, using a series of 1-m diameter ...
- In S Manarungsan, EEC Flores, CL Marte & K Igusa (Eds.), The Possibilities of Technical Cooperation Between Southeast Asia and Okinawa Prefecture in Japan, 1996 - Institute of Developing Economies