Antioxidant properties of tert-butylhydroquinone and propyl gallate in frozen minced sprats
MetadataShow full item record
Relative effects of the combination of tert-butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) and propyl gallate (PG) with or without a sequestering agent (EDTA or citric acid, C A ) on rancidity development in minced sprats stored at -15 C were determined by following the changes in peroxide values, thiobarbituric acid values, sensory scores, and fatty acid composition of lipid extracts. The combination of 0.02% TBHQ and 0.02% PG was most effective in reducing the rate of oxidative rancidity development in frozen sprats. It allowed an extended induction period of at least 250 days. Lowering the concentration of the additives from 0.02% to 0.01% significantly reduced their antioxidant effectiveness giving rise to larger losses of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Addition of either EDTA or CA to the mixture of 0.02% TBHQ and 0.02% PG did not prevent significant losses of 20:5 and 22:6 fatty acids.
Panggat, E.B., Hanson, S.W. & Hole M. (1996). Antioxidant properties of tert-butylhydroquinone and propyl gallate in frozen minced sprats. In: C.B. Santiago, R.M. Coloso, O.M. Millamena & I.G. Borlongan (Eds.). Feeds for Small-Scale Aaquaculture. Proceedings of the National Seminar-Workshop on Fish Nutrition and Feeds (pp. 100-108). Tigbauan, Iloilo, Philippines : SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department. http://hdl.handle.net/10862/539
PublisherAquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Agroindustrial waste products as sources of cheap substrates for algal single-cell protein production MT Zafaralla, LR Vidal & LE Travina - In IJ Dogma Jr., GC Trono Jr. & RA Tabbada (Eds.), Culture and use of algae in Southeast Asia. Proceedings of the Symposium on Culture and Utilization of Algae in Southeast Asia, 8-11 December 1981, Tigbauan, Iloilo, Philippines, 1990 - Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development CenterFour types of agroindustrial waste products were tested for their suitability as substrates for Chlorella single-cell protein production. Based on cell density on day 7, unsterilized rice straw filtrate, Tris-buffered inorganic medium (control), unsterilized slop (1%) and unsterilized rice hull filtrate were suitable culture media. Dry weight yield after two weeks did not vary among media. Gross protein content of algae was highest in rice straw with or without sterilization. Substrates for algal SCP production are assessed on the basis of their nutrient content, pH, and hygienic acceptability.
Conference posterR Agbayani, N Franco, D Israel, D De La Peña & AT Young - In Y Taki, JH Primavera & JA Llobrera (Eds.), Proceedings of the First International Conference on the Culture of Penaeid Prawns/Shrimps, 4-7 December 1984, Iloilo City, Philippines, 1985 - Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development CenterThe paper aims to present an economic evaluation of an integrated prawn (Penaeus monodon) hatchery-floating nursery project using standard economic tools and methods of analysis. The data used in the analysis were taken from SEAFDEC AQD experience at the Batan, Aklan Research Substation hatchery-floating nursery project. The technical bases were gathered from researchers after the peculiarities of aquaculture vis-a-vis other business ventures in agriculture and industry were taken into consideration. The study shows that an integrated hatchery-floating nursery project is a profitable culture system. The rate of return on investment for this integrated project ranges from 29 to 47% while payback period ranges from 1.8 to 2.6 years. A separate economic analysis of a hatchery project and a floating nursery was also undertaken to determine the profitability of independently operating each subsystem. The analysis shows better results for the floating nursery subsystem as compared to the hatchery subsystem. Return on investment and payback period for the floating nursery range from 23 to 78% and 1 to 3 years, respectively, while those for the hatchery range from 20 to 36% and 2.3 to 3.7 years, respectively.
SEAFDEC Regional Fish Disease Program: Safeguarding the quality of aquaculture products and environmental integrity of the southeast Asian region H Ogata -
Fish for the People, 2009 - SEAFDEC Secretariat