A fundamental study on the behavior of milkfish fry for improving the efficiency of traditional fry collecting gear in the Philippines
EXTERNAL LINKS DISCLAIMER
This link is being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. SEAFDEC/AQD bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
If you come across any external links that don't work, we would be grateful if you could report them to the repository administrators.
Request this document in case the link we provided don't work.
Click Download to open/view the file.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationKawamura, G., Hara, S., & Bagarinao, T. U. (1980). A fundamental study on the behavior of milkfish fry for improving the efficiency of traditional fry collecting gear in the Philippines.
PublisherKagoshima University Research Center for the South Pacific
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Protein concentrate of Ulva intestinalis (Chlorophyta, Ulvaceae) could replace soybean meal in the diet of Oreochromis niloticus fry An experiment was conducted to evaluate the effects of replacing soybean meal with the protein concentrate of Ulva intestinalis (UPC) in the diet of juvenile Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus. Four experimental diets were formulated to replace 0, 15, 30 or 45% of soybean meal by weight and were fed to group of fish for 90 days. Results showed that survival rates were high and independent of dietary treatment. Feed intake decreased as level of inclusion of UPC increased. Food conversion ratios of Nile tilapia fry fed the experimental diets were all statistically similar. Weight gain and specific growth rate of Nile tilapia fry fed with the diet containing 15% replacement was statistically similar with those of fish fed with the control diet. Thus, U. intestinalis protein concentrate could replace 15% by weight of the imported soybean meal without negatively affecting food conversion ratio, weight gain and specific growth rate; this substitution could mean slightly cheaper formulated diets for the Nile tilapia fry and fingerlings.
ArticleVC Banada -
Fisheries Research Journal of the Philippines, 1983 - Fisheries Research Society of the PhilippinesFrom 5 May 1981 to 7 November 1981 a total of 122,841 specimens of milkfish fry and early juvenile fishes was collected with the use of a milkfish fry sweeper. Of these, 66,361 or 54.02% consisted of early juvenile stages of 30 species of finfish and the rest were 56,480 milkfish fry of 45.98% of the total collection. The most abundant finfish excluding milkfish fry was Ambassis sp. comprising 59.43% of the total fish catch, followed by Elops machnata, 12.7%; Sillago sihama, 8.66% Gobiidae, 6.11%; Therapon jarbua, 5.49% Stolephorus sp., 2.06%; Chonoporus sp., 1.53%; Mullet, 0.97% and Scatophagus argus, 0.32%. The rest of the species combined comprised less than 1%. Water temperature, pH and dissolved oxygen (D.O.) showed inverse relationships with fish abundance at the early hours of the day (0800H-1200H) but incosistent correlations were noted during night time when these parameters were rather constant. Salinity did not show any correlation to fish abundance although more species were collected after a heavy downpour. Fish catch was higher during low tide than at high tide.
Traditional devices and gear for collecting fry of "sugpo" giant tiger prawn, Penaeus monodon in the Philippines. H Motoh - 1980 - SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department
Series: Technical report / SEAFDEC. Aquaculture Department; No. 4Eight typical devices and gears for catching the wild fry of the giant tiger prawn, Penaeus monodon, locally called sugpo are described and illustrated. There are three stationary ones vis. fry lure, fry filter net and set fry trap, and five mobile ones viz. scoop net, fry scare line, fry seine, triangular net, and fry bulldozer. These have been used traditionally in the Philippines. This design and manner of operation are adapted to the behaviors and habits of the sugpo fry such as clinging and incursion with the incoming tidal current in mangrove creeks or at the mouth of the brackish river.