Now showing items 1-10 of 28
Current fish disease problems in the Philippines and their economic impact
An account is given of fish disease problems facing the aquaculture industry in the Philippines. The Laguna de Bay fish kills that occurred in December 1985 and February 1986, involving epizootic ulcerative syndrome of ...
Shrimp aquaculture: the Philippine experience
- In PT Smith (Ed.), Towards Sustainable Shrimp Culture in Thailand and the Region. Proceedings of a workshop held at Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand, 28 October-1 November 1996, 1999 - Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research
Series: ACIAR Proceedings; No. 90
Series: ACIAR Proceedings; No. 90
An overview is presented of the shrimp farming industry in the Philippines, noting that it was established as brackish-water aquaculture as early as 1521, although it took until the 1970s to take off, blooming during the ...
Bacterial diseases of penaeid shrimps: an Asian view
- In M Shariff, JR Arthur & RP Subasinghe (Eds.), Diseases in Asian Aquaculture II : Proceedings of the Second Symposium on Diseases in Asian Aquaculture, 25-29 October 1993, Phuket, Thailand, 1995 - Fish Health Section, Asian Fisheries Society
In the past 5 Yr, bacterial diseases have become limiting factors in penaeid culture systems, their effects becoming directly proportional to the growth of the industry in terms of severity and imoact. Although eight ...
Swollen hindgut syndrome (SHG) in hatchery-reared Penaeus monodon postlarvae
- In CR Lavilla-Pitogo & ER Cruz-Lacierda (Eds.), Diseases in Asian aquaculture IV: proceedings of the Fourth Symposium on Diseases in Asian Aquaculture, 22-26 November 1999, Cebu City, Philippines, 2002 - Fish Health Section, Asian Fisheries Society
In the course of routine microscopic analysis of hatchery-reared Penaeus monodon postlarvae, several batches were found with hindgut abnormalities not previously described in shrimp postlarvae. The abnormality was named ...
Aquaculture-based restoration and stock enhancement of tiger shrimps in the Philippines
- In K Hajime, T Iwata, Y Theparoonrat, N Manajit & VT Sulit (Eds.), Consolidating the Strategies for Fishery Resources Enhancement in Southeast Asia. Proceedings of the Symposium … Strategy for Fisheries Resources Enhancement in the Southeast Asian Region, Pattaya, Thailand, 27-30 July 2015, 2016 - Training Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center
In central Philippines, the Aquaculture Department of the Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC/AQD), with strong collaboration and support from the Research Institute for Humanity and Nature (RIHN) of ...
Acetes as prime food for Penaeus monodon larvae
- 1986 - Asian Fisheries Society
This paper presents research attempts to develop a suitable artificial diet for shrimp larvae with locally-available materials. Larval rearing experiments using finely ground Acetes tissues conducted under various climatic ...
Recent developments in design and management of small-scale hatchery for Penaeus monodon in the Philippines
- In Working Party on Small-Scale Shrimp/Prawn Hatcheries in Southeast Asia, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia, 16-21 November 1981, 1982 - South China Sea Fisheries Development and Coordinating Programme
It is a common belief that the zoea of Penaeus monodon are completely filter feeders. Thus, diatoms like chaetoceros and phytoflagellates are maintained at high feeding densities as much as 80 000 cells/ml in hatchery tanks ...
The effect of diet on the reproductive performance of pond-reared Penaeus monodon Fabricius broodstock
- In JL Maclean, LB Dizon & LV Hosillos (Eds.), The First Asian Fisheries Forum: Proceedings of the First Asian Fisheries Forum, Manila, Philippines, 26-31 May 1986, 1986 - Asian Fisheries Society
Three practical diets were tested for their effects on the reproductive performance, survival and larval quality of pond-reared Penaeus monodon. Diets A, B and C were formulated to contain the same basal components but ...
Nutrient flow and physicochemical profile studies of an integrated poultry-salt-Artemia-milkfish-sea bass-shrimp pond production system
- In P Sorgeloos, DA Bengtson, W Decleir & E Jaspers (Eds.), Artemia research and its applications: Vol 3. Ecology, Culturing, Use in Aquaculture. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on the Brine Shrimp Artemia, 1-5 September 1987, Antwerp, Belgium, 1987 - Wetteren, Belgium: Universal Press
The physicochemical and biological parameters of an integrated flow-through poultry-salt-Artemia-milkfish-sea bass-shrimp pond production system were monitored for 6 months to determine the pattern of nutrient changes and ...
Intensification techniques in the extensive culture of Penaeus monodon
- In JL Maclean, LB Dizon & LV Hosillos (Eds.), The First Asian Fisheries Forum. Proceedings of the First Asian Fisheries Forum, 26-31 May 1986, Manila, Philippines, 1986 - Asian Fisheries Society
Traditional shrimp (Penaeus monodon) farming is characterized by low yields, 100-300 kg/ha/yr. To provide farmers with appropriate technology that can immediately improve pond yield with minimal investment, experiments ...