Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture : Proceedings of the Workshop on Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture organized by the SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department, January 11-15, 1999, Iloilo City, Philippines
MetadataShow full item record
The proceedings have three review papers on the mangroves of Southeast Asia, silvofisheries, and Indonesia's integrated mangrove forest and aquaculture systems. The rest of the papers, all on mangrove-friendly aquaculture efforts are from the Philippines, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, and Cambodia. All the countries represented had varied methodologies, with Cambodia in its initial stages while some countries like Indonesia and Thailand have tested methodologies. The proceedings include a tabulation of the reported mangrove-friendly technology by country -- e.g. silvofisheries in ponds (mangrove and fish/shrimp/mudcrab) and pens (mangrove and mudcrab). The workshop recommendations are classified into three major topics: problems associated with mangroves, problems associated with aquaculture practices, and socioeconomic and cultural issues.
Primavera, J. H., Garcia, L. M. B., Castaños, M. T., & Surtida, M. B. (Eds.). (2000). Mangrove-friendly aquaculture: Proceedings of the Workshop on Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture organized by the SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department, January 11-15, 1999, Iloilo City, Philippines. Tigbauan, Iloilo, Philippines: Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Aquaculture Department.
- Publisher's note
- Background of the workshop
- Review papers
- Mangroves of Southeast Asia
- Silvofishery: an aquaculture system harmonized with the environment
- Integrated mangrove forest and aquaculture systems in Indonesia
W.J. Fitzgerald Jr
- Country efforts on mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Japan: mangrove areas and their utilization
- Philippines: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
S. Aypa and S. Baconguis
- Thailand: mangrove-friendly shrimp farming
S. Tanan and A. Tansutapanich
- Viet Nam: Mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Malaysia: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
P.S. Choo and S.A. Raihan
- Brunei Darussalam: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
L. Abdul Hamid
- Indonesia: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Cambodia: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- Myanmar: mangrove-friendly aquaculture
- SEAFDEC/AQD experience papers
- Marine fishes and coastal resource management: mangrove-friendly development strategies
L.M.aB. Garcia, J.D. Toledo, and R.F. Agbayani
- Property rights and collective action in the management of mangrove ecosystems: implications of the adoption of mangrove friendly-aquaculture
- Mud crab (Scylla serrata) culture in tidal flats with existing mangroves
A.T. Triño and E.M. Rodriguez
- Mangrove-associated mollusc research at SEAFDEC/AQD
M.R. de Castro-Mallare
- SEAFDEC/AQD experience in mangrove-friendly aquaculture training and extension
R.F. Agbayani and K.G. Corre
- Available mangrove-friendly technologies
- Workshop recommendations
- List of participants and observers
TypeBook; Conference publication
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Aqua-mangrove integrated farming: Shrimp and mud crab culture in coastal and inland tidal flats with existing reforested or natural growth of mangroves Triño, Avelino T. (Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 2000)Throughout the tropics, mangroves are being destroyed at an increasing rate for the development of aquaculture ponds. In the Philippines, for instance, mangroves were about 400,000 to 500,000 ha in 1918 but were reduced ...
Khuong, Do Van (Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 2000)This report refers to the status of aquaculture technologies in coastal areas in general. Some mangrove-friendly aquaculture systems in Vietnam are also discussed including several measures to develop aquaculture in mangroves ...
Technologies in Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture. Final Report of and Papers Presented to the On-Site Training on Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture, Hai Phong City, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, 19-30 April 1999 Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Aquaculture Department; Tadokoro, Yasuho; Sulit, Virgilia T.; Abastillas, Rosario B. (Aquaculture Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, 2000)This document contains the final report of and papers presented as lecture materials, to the On-Site Training on Mangrove-Friendly Aquaculture held in Hai Phong City, Socialist Republic of Vietnam from 19 to 30 April 1999. ...